Basically, a web server is a part of software that enables the website to be accessed by using HTTP. Hyper Text Transfer Protocol is the central protocol that allows the transfer of data on the web. It can be seen preceding the URL of a website. Now, as perceived that a web server is highly powerful computer, it is right to some extent as such computers are designated as web servers that have been developed for web hosting services. Generally, when speaking about a web server, it is referred as a piece of software that is installed on a PC.
Interface and Advantages:
The interface of the web server depends upon the version that has been installed. So the left pane represents various websites, SMTP virtual servers and FTP sites. When an option is selection the left pane, its options are displayed on the right pane. If you want to browse through the properties of an item then just right click on that item. So if you own and run a website then it is advised to install a web server on the machine used for development. Also, if you are using server side technologies such as Cold Fusion or PHP then it is also advised to install a web server.
- The local website acts more like live on and you will be able to configure directory security and test custom error pages before actually launching them to the production environment.
- Standardises your coding by allowing you to use root relative paths for image references and hyperlinks thereby representing your path as a website structure.
The web servers also help in detecting the HTML file you created as a HTTP file language protocol. Initially, to navigate your web sites you can easily do that by typing HTTP and file tag and once you add more websites it will need more custom URL’s.
Whenever you view a page on the internet it is provided by the web server. When an input o URL is done, it’s requested is processed by the web server and the output of the web page is displayed on the browser. The web server tutorial shows you the full mechanism of displaying as web page.
- The Browser resolves the domain address to an IP address.
- Full URL request is sent
- Web server processes the required page
- Browser shows the web page browsed for.